Imagine if you could read people,
decode emotions, and detect lies.
Keep Informed of Upcoming Trainings
and Body Language Tips
The Emotional Skills and Competencies 2-day training seminar will give you the tools, techniques, and approaches to become the master of your emotions and ensure that they are working for you, and not against you.
You will develop your behavior analysis abilities and enhance your skills in reading others through verbal and non-verbal cues. You will learn how to use this advanced competency to gain deeper insights into the thoughts and feeling of those you interact with and aid you in building constructive and positive relationships.
It will also develop your skills to enable you to read the true emotions in others to help you build and maintain constructive, successful relationships.
You will learn how to read facial expressions, plus the other four channels, that we need to pay attention to in others if we really want to know what they are saying: body language, voice, verbal style, and the actual words spoken/written. You will practice and hone those skills in a safe environment with a Paul Ekman International Approved Master Trainer.
ESaC Course Content
During this course, you will
- Cover a brief history of emotions and why they are vital to our survival
- Adopt a simple framework for developing your emotional skills
- Develop your ability to analyze the verbal and non-verbal behaviors of others using real participants in live exercises
- Learn how to spot Micro-expressions using Dr. Paul Ekman’s pioneering training techniques
- Employ an effective conversation management model, so you are equipped for all types of encounters
After this course you will
- Understand how emotions work
- Know your emotional triggers and how to manage them
- Be aware of emotional impulses from the outset
- Respond to emotionally charged situations, and not react impulsively towards them
- Be able to read emotions in others through their verbal and non-verbal behaviors
- Understand the emotions of others more insightfully
- Use your new skills to develop constructive and positive relationships
The ETaC three-day course will teach you how to read and evaluate others through their verbal and nonverbal behaviors and use this skill to accurately evaluate their credibility or uncover any deception.
During this program you will go far beyond just analyzing the words, you will learn how to read and interpret all 5 core channels of communication and how these can be used to expose the true thoughts of others.
The 5 core channels of communication are:
- Facial expressions,
- Body language,
- The voice (pitch, tone, and volume)
- Verbal style (the way a person talks)
- Verbal content (the words a person uses)
As well as the unique, five channel approach to training you will also learn about memory, and how you can work out whether a statement of an event is remembered or being constructed through scientific content analysis.
ETaC Course Content
The courses are enriched with unique content, using videos of truth-tellers and liars from high-stake contexts such as international Embassy visa applications, scientifically validated experiments conducted by Prof Paul Ekman himself and extracts of CEOs from commercial investment contexts. Attendees of this course will also use live practice sessions to build knowledge, skills and application with high-quality feedback from the Paul Ekman Approved Trainers.
During this course, you will
- Identify the importance of baselines and when they occur
- Take a structured approach to the detection of leakage
- Identify and evaluate ‘hotspots’
- Carry out hypothesis testing
- Identify and evaluate clues to lying and truth telling
- Adopt active listening and observation skills
- Utilize these skills to evaluate truthfulness and credibility
After this course, you will
- Analyze the psychological processes that occur when people lie
- Develop your ability to assess the credibility of others through their verbal and non-verbal behaviors
- Practice and hone your deception detection skills using real participants and live exercises
- Learn how to spot hidden displays of emotions through a person’s Micro facial expressions using Dr. Paul Ekman’s pioneering training technique
- Employ an effective interviewing model that will enable you to elicit valuable information from others
All attendees receive a graded Certificate signed by Dr. Paul Ekman on completion of both the EsAC and ETaC courses.
Springhill Suites Hotel, Reston, VA
ETaC May 15-17, 2019 (9.00am – 5.00pm)
ESAC – May 13-14 $1500 before April 22, 2019 and $1750 after April 22, 2019.
ETAC – May 15 -17 $2250 before April 22, 2019 and $2625 after April 22, 2019.
What is the difference between Paul Ekman training compared to other offerings?
Our approach is unique in that all our work is rooted in firm science and it is the only training available that is endorsed by Dr. Paul Ekman. You will know if it is Paul Ekman approved as you will see the Paul Ekman logo. Some providers are geared to interrogation – we are different in that we do not encourage a confession, but instead try to gain enough trust by understanding the subject’s emotional state so that they will feel comfortable enough to talk to us. Our research shows the more they talk the more likely you can correctly evaluate credibility. We provide training in reading micro expressions and subtle expressions to assist in determining whether a person is giving you truthful or false information. We recommend you read both of Dr. Ekman’s books: Telling Lies (2009) and Emotions Revealed (2009) for additional information.
Are You a Good Candidate for Deception Detection Training?
- A manager who wants an advantage when dealing with VIPs in a corporate environment?
- An emerging leader who is ambitious about advancing your career?
- A sales professional who wants to overcome objections without wasting time on excuses?
- A self-improvement enthusiast who loves psychology and wants to develop your skillset?
- An executive who deals with client and/or supplier negotiations?
- A key accounts manager who wants help retaining important clients?
- An HR manager who deals with multiple staff members daily?
- A head-of-security who often uses soft interrogation to get to the truth?
If you answered yes to any of these questions, then you are perfect for our lie detection classes, which will transform you into someone who automatically reads the subtle signs that indicate either truth or deception.
How true/real is the science in “Lie to Me”?
The Lie to Me TV series was inspired by the work of Dr. Paul Ekman and his reputation as the world best lie catcher. Dr. Ekman played a key role in the production of the show and consulted the writers and actors on how best to portray the science of non-verbal behavior and deception. This resulted in much of what you see on Lie to Me (particularly in Season’s 1 and 2) being heavily rooted in science.
However, the show was meant for entertainment first, science second. Therefore to correct any of the creative freedom exercised by the writers, Dr. Ekman kept an episode by episode Blog where he would differentiate the facts from the myths.
You can find these Blog’s here
Irvine Nugent, Ph.D. possesses fifteen-plus years in senior leadership roles in organizations of various sizes, stages of growth and different sectors. He understands challenging business environments and has worked extensively with executive leaders and emerging leaders helping them reach the next level.
Irvine specializes in helping leaders expand their emotional and nonverbal intelligence so that they are better able to connect, influence and assess credibility. Drawing on his extensive experience as an executive coach and trainer he understands that leaders are most effective when they are able to read the emotions of themselves and others in any given situation as well as assess the credibility of people in high stakes scenarios.
Born in Northern Ireland, Irvine brings to his practice a rich and varied experience. Growing up in a society torn apart by division and violence he has seen first-hand the damage done when communication breaks down and people fail to listen and understand. He is passionate about empowering leaders with the tools to build trust, make deeper connections and communicate more effectively.
Dr. Nugent is an approved Paul Ekman International Trainer and offers a wide range of workshops in the areas of emotional intelligence, nonverbal communication, executive presence and lie detection which are based on the practical application of scientific research. He is a graduate of the Executive Coaching program from Georgetown University and is an ICF certified Professional Certified Coach (PCC) and an ATD credentialed Master Trainer