What you'll learn
This seminar is centered on cutting-edge behavioral science and its course is designed to help you become aware of your own emotions (before they get you into any trouble!), and the emotions of those around you. This one or two-day seminar will give you the tools, techniques, and approaches to:
- Become the master of your emotions and ensure that they are working for you, and not against you
- Develop your behavior analysis abilities and enhance your skills in reading others through verbal and non-verbal cues. You will learn how to use this advanced competency to gain deeper insights into the thoughts and feeling of those you interact with and aid you in building constructive and positive relationships
- Learn how to read facial expressions, body language and voice of others so that we may truly know what they are saying. You will practice and hone those skills in a safe environment with a Paul Ekman International Approved Master Trainer
- Develop your skills to enable you to read the true emotions in others to help you build and maintain constructive, successful relationships
Being a successful leader in today fast-paced, team-based global business environment is not easy. To function with peak effectiveness a leader has to be able to build and sustain strong relationships, deal with conflict, build collaboration while making sound decisions.
Researchers and business experts are in agreement that those who excel in this environment have high levels of emotional intelligence.
Based on Dr. Ekman’s science and leading-edge training methodology you will use the emotional timeline from trigger… to impulse… to action to understand the challenges and skills around awareness through that process.
The wide applications and benefits of this emotion based training are outlined by Dr. Ekman as follows:“In any transaction that matters whether it’s between lovers, between parent and child, between salesman and client, between doctor and patient, between suspect and interrogator, between adversaries at an election, emotion is what we’re looking for. Emotions tell us what matters.” – Paul Ekman.
Who this course is for
Whether you’re a leader, hiring manager, negotiator, facilitator, parent or therapist – interacting constructively with others is vital to the success of building relationships and improving mental well-being. This seminar will help you:
- Recognize and Manage your Own Emotions
- Improve your Ability to Identify Emotions in Others
- Develop Powerful Strategies for building Productive Relationships
During this seminar you will
- Cover a brief history of emotions and why they are vital to our survival
- Adopt a simple framework for developing your emotional skills
- Develop your ability to analyze the verbal and non-verbal behaviors of others using real participants in live exercises
- Learn how to spot Micro-expressions using Dr. Paul Ekman’s pioneering training techniques
- Employ an effective conversation management model, so you are equipped for all types of encounters
After this seminar you will
- Understand how emotions work
- Know your emotional triggers and how to manage them
- Be aware of emotional impulses from the outset
- Respond to emotionally charged situations, and not react impulsively towards them
- Be able to read emotions in others through their verbal and non-verbal behaviors
- Understand the emotions of others more insightfully Use your new skills to develop constructive and positive relationships
Course Offerings and Specs
The emotional intelligence course is offered in a 2-day and 1-day format. Contact us today to inquire about how we can customize a session for your company.
FAQs • Frequently Asked Questions
Emotional intelligence is much more than people skills. People with high levels of emotional intelligence are able to:
- Recognize, understand and manage our own emotions
- Recognize, understand and influence the emotions of others
In practical terms, this means being aware that emotions can drive our behavior and impact people (positively and negatively), and learning how to manage those emotions – both our own and others – especially when we are under pressure.
This becomes relevant in the workplace because assessing people’s activities can impact how a team works together. Do you realize people’s emotions motivate their performance? If someone is under pressure it will prompt certain actions. When colleagues understand each other’s actions it creates a healthier working environment.
Take it one step further and imagine colleagues that also manage their own emotions well. With the right skills leaders can even manage subordinates’ emotions and diffuse tense situations.
When your workforce can become emotionally intelligent you’ll see the results:
- Fewer conflicts in the workplace
- Leaders who keep workers motivated
- A comfortable, healthy working environment
Our approach is unique in that all our work is rooted in firm science and it is the only training available outside of the Paul Ekman Group that is endorsed by Dr. Paul Ekman. You will know if it is Paul Ekman approved as you will see the Paul Ekman logo. We recommend you read both of Dr. Ekman’s books: Telling Lies (2009) and Emotions Revealed (2009) for additional information.
Yes! By learning how to evaluate verbal and nonverbal behaviors in others, you can become incredibly accurate in understanding the thoughts and feelings of others. On this course, you will learn how to analyze persons – Body language, facial expressions, verbal content (the words they use), Verbal style (how they speak), and their voice. By observing these multiple communication channels, you will be able to extract more information from those you interact with and gain a deeper insight into their emotional state.
The Emotional Skills and Competencies course attracts a wide variety of people who want to advance their people reading skills, whilst also becoming better at controlling their own emotional impulses.
We find this course to be popular with those who work in a customer facing role where their success relies heavily on maintaining a constructive and healthy relationship with those they interact with. These roles include – Managers and Leaders, Teachers, Recruitment, PR, Customer Service, Therapy, Training, Coaching, and Consulting.
Dr. Paul Ekman has devoted his career, spanning over 40 years, to a deeper understanding of human emotions and deception detection. He pioneering scientific research is at the core of our understanding of emotional intelligence and credibility assessment. This same science was used on the hit TV series ‘Lie to Me’ for which Dr. Ekman served as a scientific advisor. The contents of this course draws entirely from his science-based research, unlike other courses in this area which include unproven theories and myths.
About the instructor
Irvine Nugent, Ph.D. • Behavioral Analysis Expert
Irvine possesses fifteen-plus years in senior leadership roles in various organizations. Dr. Nugent is an approved Paul Ekman International Trainer and offers a wide range of workshops in the areas of emotional intelligence, nonverbal communication, executive presence and lie detection which are based on the practical application of scientific research.