EQ AT THE MOVIES THE PURSUIT OF HAPPYNESS (2006 SONY PICTURES)
The Pursuit of Happyness takes us through a roller coaster of emotions and is an amazing vehicle for teaching us some of the central tenants of emotional intelligence.
The following reflection questions can be used for personal reflection or journal entries. They can also be used to begin a conversation about emotions with someone else or a group.
1. “Happiness” is a relative term and means different things to different people. What does happiness mean to you?
2. The saying goes, “Don’t judge a book by its cover.” Describe a time in life when you did this and were dead wrong about another person.
3. Describe someone you know who has gone through great adversity but has become a better person because of it. What do you see in that person that you admire?
4. “You got a dream. You gotta protect it.” – Chris Gardner What is a dream of yours? How do you protect and nurture it?
5. How easy is it for you to set aside your pride to ask for help?
6. “The balance in your life is more important than the balance in your checking account.” – Chris Gardner Reflect on this line from the movie. How does it apply in your life?
7. Describe a difficult experience you have went through in your life. What helped you be resilient and come through it?