The Team Conversational Norms Diagnostic™
Great conversations power great teams
The consequences of poor dialogue in leadership teams are only too well known – a lack of challenge and open debate leading to poor, sometimes catastrophic, business decisions; reputation threatening issues not being discussed; meetings being viewed as necessary rituals rather than as opportunities to gain new insights. Yet despite this, very few leadership teams actively look at the quality of the conversations they have.
The Team Conversational Norms Diagnostic™ is a unique diagnostic tool that allows teams to reflect on their conversational habits and patterns as a first step to identifying improvements.
Developed in conjunction with faculty from Ashridge Business School and based on established theories of dialogue, the instrument assesses a team’s conversational patterns under 6 headings:
- Voicing – how comfortable are team members to express opinions and to challenge each other?
- Inquiry – how keen are they to understand the views of others?
- Productivity – how useful and productive are conversations?
- Power – what is the role of power and hierarchy in typical conversations?
- Structure – how tight and focused are typical conversations? How much scope is there for flexibility?
- Attentiveness – how attentive and present are people in conversations?
The process is quick, efficient and cost effective.
- Team members complete a short online questionnaire;
- The findings are analyzed and summarized in a report and;
- The team attends debrief session led our highly experienced facilitator to have a conversation about the implications of the findings and agree on an action plan.
- The team continues to work with the facilitator to implement the action plan.
Contact us and learn how we can customize a The Team Conversational Norms Diagnostic™ training event for your organization.